We are pleased to welcome Faversham Golf Club to membership of the Society.
The club was founded in 1902 and a course was laid out on low-lying land in the Nagden Marshes near Graveney. In 1910 club moved to ground at Belmont leased from Lord Harris. This site benefited from undulating terrain with free draining chalk subsoil. J H Taylor laid out a 9 hole course at the new location.
In 1924 a letter was sent to Dr. Alister MacKenzie inviting him to visit the course and report improvements.
After agreeing a fresh lease with Lord Harris, an 18 hole course was constructed in 1929 of which 13 holes were executed to Dr MacKenzie’s plan. The recent discovery of this plan has changed the club’s understanding of its current18 hole layout, and where the inspiration for its routing originated