We are pleased to welcome Limerick Golf Club to membership of the Society.
The club was founded in1891, and is the oldest club in the West of Ireland, After several changes of location around the city, the club bought the present site and built a 9 hole course which opened in 1920, this was extended to 18 holes by Lionel Hewson in 1925. Dr Alister MacKenzie visited the course in late 1927 and his recommendations for improvements and extensions were agreed by the board.
The modified course opened for play in Spring 1928. MacKenzie made recommendations for further bunker improvements in 1930, but the records detailing these changes have not yet come to light.